Saturday 27 August 2011

Settling in

The basic routine here in Bali starts with a walk along the beach and/or a swim in the morning. Phil goes running in the mornings, which is kind of insane but impressive in this heat. We walk about 15-20 mins to breakfast at around 11am and eat, read, email, blog, bank, Facebook etc for an hour or two. All this exertion requires a return home for a dip in the pool, followed by more reading, and so far some kind of spa treatment... Well, for me anyway. Then more rest, reading, walking, dinner and bed.

So far on the spa treatment front, I've had the aforementioned mani/pedi/ hair spa, the paraffin wax foot treatment and yesterday, a hot stone massage courtesy of Monika - thanks!!

I don't know exactly what I thought a paraffin wax treatment would entail, but for those thinking it through, it does indeed involve putting your feet into a bowl of hot molten wax and then sitting with those feet encased in wax for some designated period of time. Freaking hot wax!! I wasn't initially sure whether I'd burnt my feet or if I'm just a wuss...

Turns out i am a wuss. Feet were not burnt. Actually they came out feeling very soft and smooth. Although I'm not sure it's an experience I would repeat.

Yesterday's activities also involved watching the first half of the St Kilda v Nth Melbourne game to Phil's initial abject horror. Apparently there is some fascinating cycling tour on in Italy at the moment which the Asian sports channels are not showing - Shame... So AFL it was. It seemed that the game had been picked up from the Northern Territory which means the advertising is all for Alice Springs' local businesses. Its truly awesome - like watching ads for your local pub on prime time TV!

There are some other things on the to do list on this trip - working on learning some German, diving, yoga, giving photography a go... I think they can wait until next week though. Tonight is all about celebrating the 2 year wedding anniversary, which was on 7 August and which I forgot. Pretty bad, I know. There were (not great) reasons, but to go some way to making up for it.

I have secretly arranged for a dinner tonight at a French restaurant nearby that is in a gorgeous garden setting, apparently has amazing food and even a fluffy white bunny hopping around the garden! I told Phil a couple of days ago there was a surprise coming. And he is struggling to contain his curiosity... First he asks, is it today? It's a surprise! Is it dinner? Cos I don't want to overeat during the day if it's dinner... It's a surprise!!!! Is it for our anniversary, cos if it's for our anniversary, I'll feel bad if I don't do anything... It's a SURPRISE!!

Ironically, I can safely write about it on the blog because I know he doesn't read it... Tho he claims to... See, Phil, if you read the blog, you'd have all the answers - hehe!!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Jalan Raya Seminyak,Kuta,Indonesia

3 comments:

  1. I think Phil's surprise should be a voucher to the spa to get a paraffin wax treatment.

    ReplyDelete