Wednesday 22 February 2012

On our last leg....

It's the last few days of what I initially dubbed "mega trip" and we are in Singapore, spending our time wandering about before coming home. We are in Asia's shopping mecca, blessed by an almighty Australian dollar... and cursed by overfilled bags and no real need for anything.

I wrote a lovely post about our final day in Bali, but the Internet gods decided not to publish it - twice. And my patience for typing the same thing out a third time vanished. But I can tell you that our last day in Bali was really lovely. We had one last breakfast at Warung Ocha (Phil had his favourite burger), went for a swim, a walk and a massage. No last sunset on the beach because it was pouring with rain, but I had insisted on three beach sunset evenings during our last week, just in case we missed the last one. Actually the whole last week in Bali felt very relaxing - like a good wind down to the trip.

It seemed fitting that in rained non-stop on our last day in Bali. Today, while sitting in the Marina Bay Sands shopping mall, drinking a coffee, the strap of my (fairly new and really nice) Havianas broke. I was seriously just sitting in a booth, not moving when *ping* - I was suddenly wearing broken footwear. It's as though the universe was saying, "you no longer need thongs, Bali is over and it's time to go back to the real world where people wear proper shoes". I was briefly barefoot, hobbling around the mall, but soon found some black Melbourne-appropriate shoes. You could wear them to work, Phil said. It's true, I could - but I haven't thought about what to wear to work in a while.

I was definitely a bit sad to be leaving Bali, or more to be ending this trip. But I'm happy to be coming home. I missed stuff - my place, friends, family, the cat (will she know who we are??). I think if this trip has shown me anything, it's that no amount of time away is ever truly enough. But I don't think the answer is going away for longer. I would be happy to come home and find everything just as we left it, which is a good thing, I think.

We haven't got much planned for Singapore - just wandering around a bit. Yesterday we went to Orchard rd and looked at shops and watched a movie called Safe House - unsurprisingly not up for Oscar contention. Although, while we're on that topic - Bradd Pitt nominated for Moneyball??? WTF - did they actually watch that movie - ugh...

Tomorrow we might walk to Little India and look around. Maybe go to Clarke Quay for some seafood for dinner?? Singapore always feels like a place you end up in again and again, so I never feel like I need to see much here. Perhaps some inspiration will strike tomorrow??


Location:Kallang Rd,Singapore,Singapore

No comments:

Post a Comment