Friday 16 December 2011

Utrecht

Today, Phil and I decided to head out of Amsterdam and take a little side trip to Utrecht. Last night we went for cocktails on the 23rd floor of The Okura hotel - the view was amazing and the drinks both yummy and potent. So it wasn't the earliest start, but we did make it there. Fortunately, it's only a 25 minute train ride there. 

It's scary to think that it's been more than ten years since I went on an exchange to the University of Utrecht to study a couple of law subjects. I only spent three and a half months there, but I have great memories of that time and I was keen to go back and just take a look at the place to see how much things had changed. 

I still remembered the route from the train station to my old apartment, so we walked down to see my old street and take a walk around the area. 


These photos were taken on the Oude Gracht - the old canal running through the centre of town. It's a gorgeous (if not a little chilly) walk with lots of very old, sometimes leaning, shops and houses. 



In this pic below, you can see the walkway that runs along at canal-level where there are lots of restaurants and bars. We stopped for one of Holland's signature dishes - pankoeken - or pancakes. Phil opted for one called the Masai with sunflower seeds, mushrooms and cheese - mmmm, tasty!!

Yet another place I could quite happily live in again. 

Tomorrow - off to Hamburg!

No comments:

Post a Comment