Friday 16 September 2011

Slacking off

So I have been really quite slack with the blog posting... A sign of too much fun, or just laziness?? A bit of both really!

I never did make it up at 5.45am to see the herons at Petulu village. No one did. Instead I slept in until 9am in time for a last breakfast at the gorgeous Villa Sancita, which we left for greener pastures in Taro, home to the largest herd of Sumatran elephants in the world at the Elephant Safari Lodge.

The Safari Lodge allows you to get close to the elephants. Really close. Like really really close. In the course of the 2 days, we fed elephants (including the little baby ones), washed an elephant in the morning (with scrubbing brushes and a hose), rode on the back of an elephant like so:





Again, that's not us. I can't post any real photos of us at the moment because the whole take photo, transfer to computer, put on flicker and then post on blog thing has not happened this week. And we moved apartments yesterday to accommodate someone with a broken leg who wanted our ground floor apartment so it wont be happening next week either.

We also swam with the elephants like so:





I screamed every time the poor elephant moved, so the pics of me are all pretty hilarious!! Phil was a lot more subdued. My mum was hysterical on the elephant in the water - small, nervous woman on large elephant. Priceless.

The washing of the elephant was an amazing experience. Scrubbing an elephants feet is pretty much guaranteed to get the heart rate up! Especially when the elephant decides to move a bit mid scrub. One move of that foot in the wrong direction and you'd be looking at some broken bones! But all ended well and we made it back to Legian, a little exhausted, but in one piece.

We built up our strength with a wonderful lunch of tuna tartare, grilled sardines, and delicious fish at a restaurant called Sardine. This is the view. Nice, huh?





When I told people that we'd be spending an initial two months in Bali and then coming back for a total stay of close to four months, I got a fair few reactions that went 'oh, why would you want to spend two months in Bali'. Like really surprised people who could not imagine what we'd do here for any longer than 10 days. It's really not been a hardship!

So, today we are heading to Uluwatu to see a beautiful temple on a cliff face. I've been destined before but I never get sick of seeing it. It looks a bit like this:





Two more things:

1. Comments - I love the comments you all leave. It's nice to know someone's reading it. But I can't leave comments - because as soon as I arrived the whole blog site changed into Indonesian and I can't figure out how to leave comments!! So sorry about not replying to comments.

2. Happy birthday Gab!! Hope you had an awesome day. I didn't forget:)

- Posted using skills learned in a previous life

2 comments:

  1. Got your msg but blame Russ - I was on the phone to him at the time (until crying baby came calling..hehe). Thank you for calling!! Love reading the blog. Hi to GOMP and Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coba belajar berbicara dalam bahasa Indonesia oleh sebab itu anda bisa menjawab komentar ini. Makasih.

    ReplyDelete